Tender braising steak with a full flavour. Ideal for the oven.
Great served with sweet potato mash, and a choice of your favourite vegetables.
- 700g/1lb 9oz Braising steak, trim any fat and cut into good size chunks
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp dried herbs (mixed herbs or Italian herbs work as well)
- 150ml/5fl oz red wine
- 450ml/16fl oz beef stock made with 2 stock cubes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 carrots medium size, peeled and thickly sliced
- 300g/10½oz closed cup mushrooms sliced medium
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with a handful of chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Place plain flour into a large mixing bowl and season well. Coat beef in the flour before adding it to the frying pan.
- Heat half of the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan and fry the beef in two batches for 2–3 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Add the remaining oil and the onions to the pan and fry over medium-high heat for 4–5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Place the onions into the casserole dish and add the dried herbs.
- Pour the red wine and stock into the casserole dish and add the tomato purée and bay leaf. Stir well and bring to a simmer on the hob. Cover with a lid and bake in the oven for 1½ hours.
- Carefully remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the carrots and mushrooms. Cover and bake for a further 45 minutes, or until the beef and vegetables are just tender.
Serve with creamy mashed potatoes.